Birth Voices East Blog
Updates on what we're doing and how your feedback is making a difference
Just letting you all know about the next events in our calender! There's about 12 of us involved at the moment but we'd love to have more mums and partners.
1) SUNDAY (24TH April) we're at the Bump and Baby event at the Hotel Victoria in Lowestoft, do come along and chat if you're there! We'll have feedback forms and cake at the stall, as well as a senior midwife from JPH to answer any questions from bumps or new mums
2) MONDAY (25TH April) is our next quarterly 'FORMAL' meeting with JPH staff, county council, health commissioners etc. It will be at 10am-12 in the families room at Seagulls Childrens Centre (Shrublands), Gorleston NR31 7BP.
We have a full agenda (email us for a copy, plus minutes of the last one), which will include elections for the roles of Chair, Vice Chair and treasurer. Light refreshments will be available and babies and toddlers are welcome. The formal meeting is quite businesslike and we tend not to discuss individual cases unless it illustrates a key trend in recent survey results or addresses on of the key working areas. This time two focus areas will be on making sure ladies with existing or new mental health issues are given the support they need, and the difficulties faced by non-English speakers. These meetings are open to any interested party but please confirm with the chair/vice beforehand (email us or use the contact page).
3) Wednesday 29th June: two events at Great Yarmouth Library.
- 12.30-1.45pm: A listening event for ladies/partners with limited English
- 2 pm- 3.30pm INFORMAL Birth Voices user rep/new members meeting plus feedback welcome from any new mums (last 2 years). Any new mums/partners/community representatives are welcome and we'd love to hear your opinions! The aim of this meeting is two-way feedback. We will listen to new feedback from you, and share what else we've been hearing from others. We'll then discuss what issues we want to raise at the next formal meeting, as well as whether we're happy with what JPH is doing about previous feedback.
4) FRIDAY 15TH JULY: Next FORMAL quarterly meeting, 10-12 noon at Kirkley Childrens centre in South Lowestoft. We are considering holding a 'coffee morning' style listening event from 12-2 at the same place - all mums and and partners and little ones welcome! This would be for Lowestoft/suffolk-based mums that might not want to drive to Yarmouth for the June one! Let us know if you'd be interested and we can confirm it with the venue.
We hope to see some new faces at some of these - do get in touch if you're interested :)
Gemma (Acting chair)